Recipe Collection: Seasoned Fries

admin January 5, 2012

seasoned fries

I used to love Arby’s curly fries.  What’s not to love?  …except for all the health detriments, of course.

Then one day I made these at home, and to me, they taste quite a lot like those curly fries, only with no  junk!  I love these fries so much.  And they are easy.

Recipe Collection: Seasoned Fries

You will need:

• 4 – 5 medium potatoes
  • Sea salt
  • 2 – 3 garlic cloves
  • Olive oil (or avocado oil)
Directions:
First, you need to get your adorable little helper:

seasoned fries

That’s Jacob, at 5 months.  I am still in denial that my baby isn’t a newborn anymore.  But look at him!!

Anyway.  Grab your potatoes and wash them.

seasoned fries

Slice them about 1/2″ thick.

seasoned fries

Then, slice them again into fry shapes.  You can make them bigger or smaller than this depending on your preference.

Put them all on a tray.

seasoned fries

Now, you need your garlic.

seasoned fries

Take just 2 – 3 cloves, and peel them.  That thing sitting next to my garlic cloves in a microplane grater.  It basically makes the garlic into a pulp, no chunks at all, which is what we want.

seasoned fries

Now, grate your garlic onto your fries.  Don’t worry about spreading it; we’ll do that in a couple minutes.  See my garlic clumped there?

seasoned fries

Add your sea salt, about 1/2 tsp. or so — just a liberal, light coating of the fries.

seasoned fries

Then pour your olive over, about 3 – 4 tbsp.  I know, I know: don’t heat olive oil.  I don’t think it reaches the smoke point in the oven though.  I wouldn’t fry these on the stove with olive oil (I’d use lard or tallow), but I don’t think it’s too bad in the oven.  If you’re worried, choose avocado oil — I’ve used this several times.

seasoned fries

Stir your fries around so they get evenly coated with everything.  You could toss them in a bowl, but why dirty a separate dish?  My adorable helper was starting to get fussy, until I got to this step — then he was totally fascinated.

Put your fries in a 350 degree oven.  They’ll need to bake close to an hour (we don’t want to turn the temperature higher to avoid that problem of reaching the smoke point).

seasoned fries

Halfway through baking, stir them.  See how they’re starting to look cooked?

seasoned fries

Then you wait until they look golden brown, and they’re done!  Wasn’t that easy?  And yummy!  If you want less-easy but amazing fries, you can also try my method for that.

Does your family enjoy seasoned fries?  What’s your favorite side dish?

Confused about vaccines?

Vaccine guide ck

1. Gorgeous and delicious looking fries! And your helper is truly adorable! Thanks for sharing!

2. Yum! I’m going to try this soon. I have to admit… eating fast food fries lately just isn’t the same. They just taste “off” since I’ve been eating healthy. I guess that’s how it’s supposed to be.

3. We love homemade french fries too. Although, we cut ours in thin discs, kind of like potato chips, so they cook faster. And since we make them in the oven in our home in Texas, meaning they are neither french nor fried, we’ve taken to just calling the “bakes” 🙂

4. We make our fries like that too, although they are called chips in our house. Yum Yum!! I recently discovered herbamare & we love that on our fries too. I’ve never made them with tallow though. Can’t believe Jacob is 5 mths! Such a cutie!

5. I wish we could have potatoes — my husband needs to be nightshade-free, so we all are…unfortunately he doesn’t like sweet potatoes either!

• Beth — I bet you could roast cauliflower or asparagus like this and it would be awesome! Different, but awesome!

6. Question-do you ever soak you potatoes before cooking them? Like you would rice or grains? I’ve been curious about this and look it up on line and found a few sites that said it reduces the starch. I was curious what a fellow “real food” foodie does.

• Heidi, not usually, although I probably should. Sometimes I blanch them before I fry them, which does the same thing.

7. […] Dinner – Buffalo burgers, soaked buns, fries […]

8. […] Lunch – Burgers, baked beans, fries […]

9. I would love for you to share and link up at my TGIF Link Party. The party is open every Thursday night and closes Wednesday’s at midnight.

Have a wonderful week!