Graphics by Kate Tietje
Writing by Rustina
Nothing says summer fun the way ice cream does! All that processed sugar and who knows what in the store bought stuff takes the fun right out of it though! Did you know that you can make your own with healthy ingredients though – and with 3 simple ingredients?
What’s in store-bought ice cream?
Here are some examples of ingredients in ice cream from the local grocery store freezer:
- High fructose corn syrup
- This has been linked to increased appetite, obesity, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, diabetes, and more! (1)
- Natural and artificial flavors
- As we learned with the aspartame concerns, this could cover quite a few things – if something is added to food, it should be clearly identified!
- Guar gum
- Can cause bloating, digestive problems, and even a fairly common allergy)
- Titanium dioxide
- Used to make it white just like in paint
- Controversy over this ingredient and its possible inflammatory link to colon cancer, diabetes, etc) (2)
But you can easily make some yummy, creamy ice cream right at home with NO special equipment!
Kate’s Coconut Blueberry Ice Cream
- 2 cans coconut milk (or 3 cups of some sort of milk)
- 1/2 cup raw honey (or maple syrup)
- 1 cup frozen blueberries.
Step 1: Put all ingredients in a blender. Blend until processed down to a puree consistency.
Step 2: Pour into a freezer safe, bowl with a lid.
Step 3: Put in the freezer for 3 hours.
Step 4: Scoop and serve!
You can try different fruits – my family’s favorite is Raspberry or Strawberry with half honey/half maple syrup, whole milk (heavy cream works good too), and 2 tsp of Super Food Powder.