By Sarena-Rae Santos, Natural Health Blogger
Every year, when fall comes around, I tell my husband, “This year, I am making roasted pumpkin seeds.” Every year that never happens. The process of getting a pumpkin, using the pumpkin seeds for a nice snack, and pureeing the pumpkin for my homemade pumpkin spice creamer seems so amazing, but I never get to it.
This year, instead of going and getting a pumpkin and dealing with all that, I have decided to opt for a less time-consuming option – roasted pepitas!
Roasted pepitas are often called roasted pumpkin seeds in the United States. Roasted pepitas are common in Mexican cuisine. For those wondering, pumpkin seeds are whole seeds with their shells still on, whereas pepitas are the shell-less interior of pumpkin seeds but are still classified as pumpkin seeds.
I already keep shell-less pumpkin seeds in the house for making pumpkin seed butter and pumfu (pumpkin seed tofu alternative). Pumpkin seeds are my go-to because they contain all nine essential amino acids, making them a complete protein, amongst many other benefits like:
- Rich in nutrients
- Antioxidant properties
- Anti-inflammatory properties
- Antiparasitic properties
- May support heart health
- May reduce blood sugar levels
- May promote sleep and relieve insomnia
- May promote kidney health
- May support prostate health
- May support urinary health
- May promote bone health
- Anticancer properties
Learn more about the benefits of pumpkin seeds in our pumpkin seed herbal profile.
Roasted pepitas are great for snacking or adding a crunch to your salad.
- 1 cup raw, unsalted pepitas (shell-free pumpkin seeds)
- 2-4 tbsp. avocado oil (or other oil of choice)
- 1-2 tsp. favorite seasoning(s) – I recommend taco seasoning or ranch seasoning)
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 325ºF and line a baking pan with parchment paper.
Step 2: Combine the pepitas, oil, and favorite seasoning in a bowl and toss until evenly coated.
Step 3: Spread the seasoned pepitas on the lined baking pan in an even layer.
Step 4: Bake for 20 minutes, shaking the pan halfway through.
Step 5: Allow to cool before enjoying or adding to a glass jar for storage.
- 1 cup unsalted pepitas roasted
- 2-4 tbsp. avocado oil
- 1-2 tsp. favorite seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF and line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Combine the pepitas, oil, and favorite seasoning in a bowl and toss until evenly coated.
- Spread the seasoned pepitas on the lined baking pan in an even layer.
- Bake for 20 minutes, shaking the pan halfway through.
- Allow to cool before enjoying or adding to a glass jar for storage.