By Sarena-Rae Santos, Natural Health Blogger
What is Lavender?
Lavender is also known as Lavandula officinalis, aspic, spike lavende, lavandin, or its scientific name Lavandula angustifolia. Lavender is a beautiful herbaceous perennial with purple clusters of flower buds (calyx) with green-grey leaves between 2-3 feet tall and native to Europe (1).
Health Benefits of Lavender
Lavender has been used in cooking and for its many medicinal purposes, including:
May Relieve Anxiety
Lavender is most often used for anxiety relief as it has a sedative-like effect. Studies have shown that lavender oil can positively affect symptoms associated with anxiety. One study found that lavender oil was equivalent to lorazepam in its starting dose in patients with subsyndromal anxiety (2). Additionally, the inhalation of lavender oil has been found to influence vital signs and anxiety (3). I highly recommend Earthley’s Anxiety Relief for these benefits.
Due to the pain-relieving and numbing effect lavender oil can have, lavender oil is an effective way to combat inflammation. Chronic inflammation has been linked with many diseases, such as type 2 diabetes, asthma, and certain cancers (4). One study explored the anti-inflammatory effects of lavender oil to the extent of testing on recurrent aphthous ulcers. In this study, they found lavender oil significantly reduced inflammation, ulcer size, and the time the ulcers took to heal (5). Additionally, lavender essential oil has been used as an effective form of treatment (6). I highly recommend Earthley’s Anxiety Calm Oil (formula A or C) for these benefits.
Lavender has the potential to accelerate the wound-healing process. According to one study, when applied topically to a burn, cut, scrape, or other wound, lavender may help speed up the wound-healing process (7). Another study on rats found that lavender oil also stimulated tissue-repairing on healed wounds. I recommend Earthley’s All-Purpose Salve for these benefits.
May Improve Eczema, Psoriasis, and Dry Skin
Lavender contains antimicrobial, anti-fungal, and anti-inflammatory properties that can help with eczema, psoriasis, or dry skin (8). One study found that lavender oil can kill Staphylococcus aureus, a type of bacteria that may cause eczema (9). I highly recommend Earthley’s Moisturize Me! (Dry Formula) for these benefits.
May Improve the Appearance of Acne, Wrinkles, and Dark Spots
Acne is a condition that occurs when your hair follicles become clogged with dead skin cells and oil (10). Research has found lavender oil has antibacterial properties, killing bacteria and unclogging pores, reducing inflammation, and even preventing future acne breakouts (11). Due to lavender oil containing antioxidants, which can help tackle free radicals, it may also reduce the appearance of wrinkles and dark spots (12). I highly recommend Earthley’s Lavender Green Clay Mask for these benefits.
Promotes Hair Growth
Lavender has been found to have a positive effect on the growth of hair. In a rat study, one study found that lavender oil significantly increased the number of hair follicles and hair follicle depth (13). I highly recommend Earthley’s Rosemary-Lavender Shampoo Bar for these benefits.
Of course, there is a lot of controversy surrounding lavender, especially lavender essential oil. Many people believe lavender is unsafe for pre-pubertal boys. This argument simply isn’t valid.
This rumor is based on a single study from 2007 that looked at a total of THREE boys. In this study, they found that they were using various products that contained lavender and/or tea tree and experiencing gynecomastia. When they stopped using the products, the condition resolved (14).
There was no attempt to look for other potential causes. They didn’t test any other ingredients in the products. There are plenty of other ingredients, including FRAGRANCE, that are known endocrine disruptors (15). In this case, the boys also had typical hormone profiles.
Even if the lavender was related in these cases, this sample size is too small to extrapolate to the entire population. The boys could have had early life exposure or genetic differences that caused them to be extra sensitive to certain chemical constituents.
As per trusted herbalist Richard Whelan, lavender is exceptionally safe for all ages (16).
Aside from the precaution to never use lavender essential oil internally or undiluted, trusted aromatherapist Wendy Robbins doesn’t indicate any special precautions when using Lavender Essential Oil (17). Still, we would recommend a topical dilution of 2-5% for ultimate essential oil safety. Finally, lavender essential oil is safe for children and while pregnant and breastfeeding.
How to Use Lavender
You can find lavender in dried bulk, capsules, powders, extracts, oils, or tinctures. Tinctures always contain the most concentrated amount of herbs. Teas and soups are also options, especially when following ayurvedic medicine recipes. If you’re a DIY person, some great starter recipes are:
- Lavender Sachets
- Lavender Green Clay Mask
- Lavender Heat Pack
- Whipped Lavender Orange Aftershave Balm
Follow the recommendations of any supplement; some of my recommendations include:
- Earthley’s 3-in-1 Soap is perfect for anyone wanting to simplify their cleansing routine, including the littlest of littles. Available in three scents.
- Earthley’s All-Purpose Salve is the perfect remedy for minor scrapes, cuts, rashes, burns, and more. Safe for all ages, this multi-purpose salve stick is a must-have for any family.
- Earthley’s All-Purpose Spray is the only spray you’ll ever need! For cleaning, sanitizing, air freshener, and even deodorant! It comes in 2 oz and 8 oz sizes: one perfect for on the go and the other plenty for at home. Now re-formulated to be 63% alcohol, complying with the new standards for sanitization.
- Earthley’s Anxiety Calm Oil (Formula A & C) is a tincture infused with adaptogenic herbs. Formula C supports the immune system, adrenals, hormone balance, and overall wellness, especially for those struggling with anxiety, mood issues, and stress. Great for those who need a little extra power. Formula A is CBD-free.
- Earthley’s Anxiety Relief is formulated with herbs chosen for their ability to calm the body and improve mood without unfortunate side effects. Relieve symptoms of anxiety naturally.
- Earthley’s Calming Essential Oil Roller helps promote peace and calm and uplifts your mood! Allow aromatherapy to give you a little serenity in a busy world. Apply to your wrists or pulse points and enjoy some relaxation.
- Earthley’s Baby Balm is a natural diaper cream that is a pure, clean salve to protect your little one’s skin and help it heal. Safe for cloth diapers, this salve is made to help those diaper rashes and minor burns, cuts, and scrapes. Comes in a mess-free tube.
- Earthley’s Black Drawing Salve Stick is the perfect solution for splinters, rashes, bug bites, acne, and other problems you’d like to draw out of the skin. Safe for ages six months+, it’s a must-have for the whole family.
- Earthley’s Calming Essential Oil Blend is designed to keep you calm. The sweetness of ylang-ylang is combined with cedarwood and the freshness of sweet orange in this calming scent. This blend promotes a calm mood to reduce feelings of anxiety.
- Earthley’s Gentle Coconut Milk Soap is a natural and low-waste way to get clean! We use the purest ingredients to create this nourishing soap that is kind to the skin and the environment. It’s gentle enough for a baby, and its lather is silky-smooth, so you can even use it to shave.
- Earthley’s Good Night Lotion (Original Formula) combines nourishing butters with magnesium chloride to promote restful sleep. It even helps to relieve leg and muscle cramps, growing pains, headaches, occasional constipation, and more. Unlike sprays, our lotion isn’t itchy and won’t cause stomach upset like pills.
- Earthley’s Herbal Baby Powder uses three natural herb powders blended to create a healing alternative that keeps the baby dry. This natural baby powder benefits cord care soothes diaper rash, and much more.
- Earthley’s Herbal Soothing Bath is the natural way to enjoy an at-home spa night. This floral soak is safe and beneficial to sensitive skin with no artificial fragrance or ingredients. Cleanliness and postpartum healing go hand-in-hand when you bathe with our organic bath tea. Soak away soreness, enjoy aromatherapy, and promote healing, all while relaxing.
- Earthley’s Immune Support Essential Oil Blend is designed for natural, kid-safe immune support. The blend combines the antibacterial and anti-viral properties of frankincense, lavender, eucalyptus, lemon, and fir needle to create this power-packed blend. Keep your family healthy, naturally!
- Earthley’s Lavender Green Clay Mask helps unclog pores, remove impurities, and enjoy clearer, healthier skin with our all-natural mask! French green clay pulls out dirt and oil while helping to balance oil production and improve your complexion.
- Earthley’s Leave-In Conditioner is the perfect pair to the Rosemary-Lavender Shampoo Bar. It smoothes, nourishes, and detangles hair while toning the scalp.
- Earthley’s LIMITED EDITION Blue Bliss Essential Oil Roller is perfect for carrying with you to help you relax wherever you are! Apply a little bit on your wrists or behind your ears to enjoy the all-natural aromatherapy, or even use it as a perfume!
- Earthley’s LIMITED EDITION Blue Bliss Good Night Lotion combines nourishing butters with magnesium to promote restful sleep. It even helps to relieve leg and muscle cramps, growing pains, headaches, occasional constipation, and more. Our Good Night Lotion combined with the BlueBliss scent is perfect for a good night’s sleep!
- Earthley’s LIMITED EDITION Blue Bliss Natural Lip Balm is as natural as it gets. Made with simple, safe, and edible ingredients that combine to nourish and moisturize the lips. Natural essential oils are added for a pleasant smell without artificial ingredients.
- Earthley’s Milk Flowin’ Salve is an all-natural, herbal salve created to help relieve clogged milk ducts. This salve helps keep lymphatic fluids and milk moving to work out any existing clogs and prevent future ones. Since it’s edible and safe for babies, there’s no need to wipe it off before nursing.
- Earthley’s Mineral Deodorant (Lavender & Spring Blossom Scent) is a 100% natural deodorant that works! With absolutely no aluminum, baking soda, or artificial ingredients of any kind, you can be confident our Mineral Deodorant is safe and beneficial to your health. We use natural magnesium chloride to detox your pits, arrowroot powder to keep you dry, and plant-based oils to gently nourish your sensitive underarm skin.
- Earthley’s Moisturize Me! (Dry Formula) is an all-natural and botanical moisturizer designed specifically for the face. Formulated with non-comedogenic and essential oils, this product hydrates and replenishes the skin. Moisturize Me is food for the face that will nourish skin to relieve concerns like acne and dry, flaky skin.
- Earthley’s Rosemary-Lavender Shampoo Bar is a gentle, lightly floral-scented shampoo bar that cleans hair without stripping it of its own natural oils. Lavender and rosemary promote hair growth and scalp health. This shampoo bar is also no-waste, so it’s great for the environment too!
- Earthley’s Rosemary-Lavender Dry Shampoo absorbs excess oils and leaves your hair soft and clean! Many dry shampoos are propane or butane-powered and contain synthetic ingredients that sit on your scalp. Not this one! This all-natural powder comes in an old-fashioned shaker bottle–you-powered, no propellants.
- Earthley’s Spring Blossoms Essential Oil Blend is designed for floral lovers. The sweet aromas of rose-geranium and lavender combine with neroli’s orange blossom notes to create this delightful floral scent. This blend is relaxing and uplifting, perfect to promote happy yet calm moods.
- Earthley’s Sun Soothe is an all-natural, after-sun lotion to help calm skin overexposed to the sun. This cooling lotion helps to relieve pain and redness, prevent peeling, and moisturize the skin.
- Earthley’s Whipped Body Butter (Lavender & Spring Blossom Scent) combines nourishing, organic butters and oils to moisturize the skin. Use this luxurious lotion all over the body to hydrate and protect. All scents are 100% natural and made with pure essential oils. Try them all, and check out the seasonal scents too!
Disclaimer: This post is not intended as medical advice. These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, and nothing in this post is intended to diagnose, treat, or cure anything. If you have questions, please do your own research or seek advice from a health professional.