This is a guest post from Justyn of Creative Christian Mama. In the months of March and April, we are hosting several guest posts so that MAM can enjoy her new baby.
I often post about what to do when you’re already feeling bad, such as natural remedies for ear infections or ways to ease morning sickness, but today I’d like to talk about a yummy way to boost health to help prevent problems before they start!
We all know that antioxidants are a good thing, right? They neutralize those pesky free radicals that wreak havoc on our cells. Getting plenty of antioxidants is one of the beautiful benefits about a real foods diet. What are good sources of antioxidants? I’m so glad you asked!
Berries are a fantastic source of several different antioxidants. Different antioxidants have different benefits, so getting a wide variety is a good way to boost your health. When I’m making an antioxidant smoothie, here’s what I like to use.
Berry Antioxidant Smoothie Recipe
- 1 cup raw milk, yogurt, coconut milk or kefir
- 3/4 cup mixed berries (I like blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries and some black cherries- they may not be berries, but they’re packed full of those antioxidants!!)
- 1/2 banana
- 1 to 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 2 bilberry powder capsules (open and pour in the powder)
- 2 Indian gooseberry powder capsules (these are crazy-good sources of vitamin C!!)
- 2 red raspberry leaf capsules (this is the leaf, not the berry, but it’s worth adding)
- Run the berries under lukewarm water for a minute, if they are frozen.
- Add all ingredients to the blender and blend until smooth. Add extra milk to thin it down, if needed.
- Garnish with fresh berries, a sprinkle of shredded coconut or a sprig of mint, if you want to get fancy!
What’s your favorite type of smoothie?