Recipe Collection: Chocolate Cake - Modern Alternative Mama

Recipe Collection: Chocolate Cake

admin March 29, 2012

We love chocolate cake with vanilla frosting (you’ll get the frosting next week).  I make chocolate cake or brownies a lot, frankly — at least compared to the other treats I make.  But this one was better than most — rich but not overpowering, sweet but not too sweet, and moist and yummy all around.  Everyone liked it.

For a real “treat,” use unbleached white flour (I’ve used it a bit recently because I keep forgetting to sprout some wheat…must get on that).  For a healthier treat, use sprouted.  It changes the texture only slightly.  Top it with whipped cream, chocolate sauce, fresh fruit — or use real buttercream (which uses no powdered sugar at all!).

Chocolate Cake

Chocolate Cake

Ingredients:

• 1 c. butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 c. maple syrup
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 tsp. sea salt
  • 1 tbsp. baking powder
  • 1 c. cocoa powder
  • 2 c. unbleached flour or sprouted flour
  • 1 c. milk

Directions:

Grab your little helper. 🙂

Add the butter to your bowl.

Add your maple syrup.

Stir it together as best you can.  Then, add your eggs.

Stir this together.  Add a little vanilla — I forgot when we did it this time.  Then, add your cocoa powder.

Add your salt and baking powder.

Stir together well.  I used a mixer to beat it here, before returning it to the table for my daughter to stir.  Add flour (1/2 of it, then milk, then the other 1/2 — I don’t have a picture of adding milk).

Pour the cake into two 8″ round pans, or 8″x8″ square pans.  A 9×13 would work, or it should make 18 – 24 cupcakes.

Bake at 350 for 25 – 30 minutes (test for doneness by sticking a toothpick in the center — if it comes out clean, it’s done).

How do you top your chocolate cake?

SaveSave

SaveSave

Confused about vaccines?

1. The cake looks so yummy! I had a question prompted by seeing the Trader Joe’s flour in the pictures. I am soon moving closer to a Trader Joe’s and was wondering what you have found to be a good price/quality there.

2. This is going to be my birthday cake! So excited!

3. Love the pics utilizing “your little helper”. What a cutie!

4. to make it dairy free, could you use coconut oil and milk?

• Hi Teresa, I’m sure it would work! I haven’t tested this cake that way, but I often bake things using coconut products interchangeably with butter/milk.

5. […] This one, while not the fluffy delight a cake mix always turns out, was moist, rich, chocolatey, and smooth. Still heavy and dense, but not badly so. It reminded me of a chocolate mousse cake. I would make it again… but I would still like to find a fluffy one! I know, I need to get some sucanat and give that a try… and maybe see if I could find whole wheat pastry flour — ultra grain is as close as we can get at our local stores. […]

6. […] chocolate cake is also from MAM.  Mine is much darker than her picture, perhaps because I have Hershey’s […]

Hi, I’m Kate.  I love medical freedom, sharing natural remedies, developing real food recipes, and gentle parenting. My goal is to teach you how to live your life free from Big Pharma, Big Food, and Big Government by learning about herbs, cooking, and sustainable practices.

I’m the author of Natural Remedies for Kids and the owner and lead herbalist at EarthleyI hope you’ll join me on the journey to a free and healthy life!

Love our content? Sigh for our weekly newsletter and get our FREE Vaccine Guide!