Find out how to beat the summer heat and cool down naturally with cooling herbs and essential oils.
By Angela Montgomery, Contributing Writer
Summer can bring a whole host of heat related problems. Sunburn, heat exhaustion, heat rash, and just plain old HOT!
Here are a few ways to cool down naturally this summer:
Use Cooling Essential Oils
There are several essential oils that are naturally cooling. Anything in the mint family or oils that contain menthol are cooling. According to wikipedia, Methol has the “ability to chemically trigger the cold-sensitive TRPM8 receptors in the skin. Those cooling oils include peppermint, spearmint and eucalyptus. Other cooling essential oils are lavender and chamomile.
- To make a simple cooling spritz add 5 drops lavender and 1 drop peppermint to 1 cup of cold water. Add to a spray bottle and shake well before use. Be sure to keep away from your eyes when spraying!
- If you are using coconut oil as a natural sunscreen, you can add a couple of drops of peppermint or lavender to the oil before you apply it to your skin. It may help you stay cooler!
- To help cool sunburn, add 20 drops lavender to 1/4 cup of water and 1/4 cup aloe vera gel or juice. Add to a spray bottle and shake well. Spritz onto sunburned skin. (It feels even better if the aloe and water are chilled first!)
Use Cooling Herbs
Some herbs that have a cooling/calming/relaxing effect on the body are Chamomile, Hibiscus flower, Lemon Balm, Lemon Grass, Spearmint and Peppermint.
- One easy way to incorporate cooling herbs into your day is to make a chilled “tea”. First, boil the herbs in water, strain, then place in the refrigerator to cool. (You may be able to find pre-made herbal teas with these ingredients) Add ice and drink, or even place in a spray bottle and spritz onto your skin.
- Be sure to incorporate LOTS of water into your routine during the summer. Water is naturally cooling to the body. To create an even more cooling and refreshing drink, add some cooling fruits and veggies such as cucumber, watermelon, lime and lemon to some of the chilled herbal tea and drink often!