Baby Boy’s Arrival – My Successful Home Birth |

Baby Boy’s Arrival – My Successful Home Birth

malissa June 6, 2013
after birth
I woke up Monday the 15th with contractions that hurt. After weeks of prodromal labor, I wondered if it was finally happening. After less than an hour, they began to space our and eventually stop. My check up at 1 was still on.
After my NST and check with my overseeing OB, (Yup definitely 5 cm) I headed to my midwife’s office.  We had a candid discussion and she told me we needed to try some things to get my baby out. We both wanted me to have my home birth and once we crossed the 42 week mark, things were going to look grim. She suggested acupuncture and they scrambled to successfully get me an appointment that afternoon. She also suggested coming to my house that night to see if we could make anything happen.
I agreed to that plan and headed out the door a bit deflated and worried. I’m not a huge fan of needles. The acupuncturist was amazing. She explained what the purpose of the needles were for and why she placed them as she did. I laid, relaxing in the quiet, dim room, and felt contractions come. The weren’t as strong as the were that morning, but they were there and they seemed regular. 

After an hour, we removed the needles and I headed home to grab some food and “rest” before my midwives arrived. We ate as a family and I tried to rest. Drew attempted bedtime and my midwives and doula arrived. We did accupressure. We talked about herbs. I went for a walk with Drew and Lady Lou. At around 10 they gave me red raspberry leaf tea and we discussed my options. We all agreed that I needed rest since I had been out all afternoon and we’d meet back in the morning at 10.

 After everyone left, I settled in to watch the last episode of The Tudors on Netflix and try to relax my mind so I could sleep. I noticed that my contractions were a little more intense and a little more painful, but I assumed that was from the tea. At around 12:30, Drew tucked me in and I was able to drift off amidst the slow waves of pain.

 At 2:45, I woke up. Why was I awake? A contraction hit and I tried to lay through it. I squirmed. I sighed. I gripped the pillow. Well that was, unpleasant. I rolled to the other side and got as comfortable as I could. Another contraction. I glanced at my phone 2:49. Interesting. I sat up to decide if I should move or just wait. And another – 2:52 am. I got up and headed to the bathroom and had several more contractions sitting on the toilet. Each more intense. Each 3 minutes apart.

Drew heard me lingering in the bathroom and came in to see if I was okay.  He grabbed his contraction timer and we sat together through several contractions. I now had to breathe through the contractions. He coached me through and timed them all. On average, they were over a minute long and about 3 minutes apart. At 3:30 I went to stand to change positions and lost my mucus plug. I called my midwife.

She told me to monitor the contractions for 30 minutes and keep her updated. I shifted to the floor and took the next few contractions on hands and knees. 15 minutes later she called me back and told me she was heading over to my house. Drew made himself a cup of coffee because he hadn’t been to bed yet. At this point, I began to realize that this might be it.

When my midwife arrived a few minutes after 4, G told me to keep doing what I was doing. Contractions kept coming and she checked the baby’s heart rate. He was doing great. After a few more contractions, I moved to our bedroom so I could kneel and lean on the side of the bed. The contractions got a little closer and more intense.  At 4:45, M arrived and we checked the baby’s heart rate again. At this point, they went downstairs to let Drew and I have some privacy. It was time for me “to do my work” as she presented it. I asked about the pool and she said she wanted to wait until I would be at the “get me an epidural” point at a hospital.

They shut our door and Drew knelt beside me. As the contractions came, I had a harder time just breathing through them. Soon, I was moaning on the exhale to try to focus on something else. Drew stayed by my side: holding my hand, reminding me to breathe, and that the contraction was almost over. At a few minutes after 5, I looked at him and said “I need something, NOW.” He went downstairs to relay my message. They entered the bedroom and G said- “I’m going to check you now.” I laid on the side of the bed and she did a quick check – 6-7 cm and very stretchy. At the time all I heard was 6-7, not the stretchy part. I asked if I could have the tub and she said she thought it was time.

Drew and M went to the laundry room to get water going. I know that G stayed with me to keep me calm, relaxed, and hold my hand during contractions. I had to go to the bathroom because there was so much pressure I had to pee AGAIN. I went down the hall because the pool in our bathroom was still filling and I didn’t want to trip in the hoses.

When I made it to the bathroom and sat down, another contraction started to form. About 1/2 way through, my body tried to push on it’s own. I freaked and told Drew to get G. “I don’t want to have my baby on the toilet!!” G came to listen to my next contraction and told me this was all a good sign. M had finished up with the tub and it was ready and waiting for me.  I walked slowly back down the hall, into our bathroom, and sunk into the heavenly water of the birth pool.

The next contraction began and as it built my body tried to push again. At first I fought the sensation, because in my head I kept hearing G say “6-7” and I thought it wasn’t possibly time to actively push. I tried to blow away the pushes without much luck. After a few more contractions, I gave into the sensation and gave a decent push as the wave washed over me.

I felt and heard a huge POP. “What was THAT?!?!” I screeched as I turned to Drew, still dutifully beside me.

“THAT was you water!!” he half spoke and half laughed.


“Yes, really.” G chimed in. “And it’s clear with some vernix. Everything looks great.”

At this point, I noticed she had fully entered the room and was sitting on the toilet lid looking into the pool. With another contraction I gave another push. I heard G ask M for a flashlight.  Another contraction started and I pushed. Drew asked her if she needed to check me again. I looked up.

“Oh, no. I see his head every time she pushes.”

Something in my core changed. “Really?!?!?!”

“Really. He’s right there.”

A contraction began to build as she finished her sentence . I filled determination. It was time to do this with my son. So, I pushed. I mean I really pushed. Suddenly a head began to emerge. I blew away some of the burning and took a breath. I pushed again and I could see part of his face. “He has hair!” I said. I pushed again and his head was out.

G looked at me. “Malissa- reach down and catch your baby.”

“Now??! “ I said in shock.

“Now, “ she replied.

I sat up a little and leaned forward. Without pushing, his shoulders and body were born, right into my hands and forever in my heart. I lifted my son to my chest. We had done it.


This is the writings of:

  1. Congratulations! What a beautiful, quick birth!


  2. Love it!! Can’t wait for my next birth in September. You did an awesome job!!


  3. […] the of expenses with the birth of The way that your baby Baby beanies need is soy formula safe for baby boys have some good suggestions that you Not familiar?super convenient and offers your The formula is […]


  4. […] though it had only been just shy of 2 years, I had forgotten from Miss Roo’s birth to Baby Boy’s birth the rapid discomfort that appears in the first 24 hours. Having a home birth this time around, I […]


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Hi, I’m Kate.  I love medical freedom, sharing natural remedies, developing real food recipes, and gentle parenting. My goal is to teach you how to live your life free from Big Pharma, Big Food, and Big Government by learning about herbs, cooking, and sustainable practices.

I’m the author of Natural Remedies for Kids and the owner and lead herbalist at EarthleyI hope you’ll join me on the journey to a free and healthy life!

Meet My Family
Love our content? Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get our FREE Nourished Living Cookbook!