There is something about pie that just screams comfort. I first remember having a custard pie at a church event many, many years ago. Recently, while brainstorming some recipe ideas for Modern Alternative Kitchen, I decided to try out some new pie recipes, and a custard pie was the first thing I thought of.
This light, creamy dessert is super simple and quick to put together, although the baking time is long! I served this last week at a luncheon with girlfriends and it got rave reviews.
Please note, for the crust I used a gluten-free crust from Whole Foods, as I have not found a homemade, real foods gluten-free pie crust that works for all recipes. (But if you know one, please share in the comments!) However, any crust will do for this recipe, and homemade would be perfect!
Cinnamon Custard Pie
- 9-inch Pie Crust
- 4 eggs
- 2 c. milk
- 1/2 c. maple syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Place all ingredients except pie crust into a blender or food processor. Blend until well combined.
3. Place pie crust on a baking sheet, and pour mixture into pie crust.
4. Carefully transfer baking sheet to oven. Bake for 60-70 minutes.
5. Let cool. Serve at room temperature or refrigerate and serve chilled. This would be delicious with a dollop of fresh whipped cream and a sprinkle of nutmeg or cinnamon.
Do you have a favorite comfort food pie?