Top 10 Reasons to Eat Real Food

admin September 21, 2010

Today, if you are a loyal reader and subscriber (that is, you were a subscriber BEFORE you read this post), leave me a comment with your favorite reason to eat real food (doesn’t have to be one of mine) for an extra entry in the Excalibur Dehydrator Giveaway!!

Why do we eat real food?  Why should anyone else eat real food?  It can be hard to convince people who are skeptical that real food is really worth it.  But believe me, it is!  Here are my top 10 reasons (with some help from my friends) why you should eat real food!

1. It’s really fresh: real food isn’t processed or packaged, it comes to you fresh and full of excellent nutrients!
  2. It’s chemical-free!: real food isn’t grown with commercial pesticides or fertilizers (generally), and it definitely isn’t full of food additivies like MSG and HFCS, so it’s much safer to eat!
  3. It’s not hard to make: real food doesn’t take much longer than heating up processed foods in many cases; and even when it does it is still easy!  Just think simple, not gourmet (unless you really want to).  For more on this, check Facebook for a cool announcement!
  4. It makes you feel better: Hands-down, real food just makes you feel great.  It’s that lack of food additives and other junk, and all those extra nutrients.  You’ll feel healthy and energetic like you never knew you could!
  5. Lose weight naturally: Yes, eating real food can have the side benefit of helping you to lose weight, all while eating plenty of butter, bacon, cheese, ice cream and other rich foods.  Again, see my announcement on Facebook for more!
  6. It can heal illnesses and conditions (according to people who have experienced it!): I’ve talked to so many people who’ve told me that by switching to real food, their cholesterol has gone down, their ADHD has gone away, their allergies have improved or disappeared, their PCOS has improved, hypothyroidism has nearly healed itself, and much more!  Real food provides real nutrition, which enables your body to heal itself!
  7. People with allergies can eat it: A lot of people are “lactose intolerant” or “gluten intolerant” these days, but when they eat real food (raw milk and sprouted grains) they are able to eat food again without all kinds of modifications or avoidances.  Real food is recognized by the body and doesn’t cause the same issues that processed versions do.
  8. No (or little) need for medication: If your body is healing itself, then you won’t be needing your medication anymore!  Many have gotten off diabetes, PCOS, blood pressure and other medications by eating real food.  Since the average number of medications adults over 40 are on is around 13 (yes…really!), this is huge!
  9. Less expensive (especially considering you’ll need less health care!): If you are buying the least expensive cuts of meat, seasonal produce, and bulk grains, you may actually spend less on food than buying packaged foods!  And when you factor in all that health care and medication you’re not needing, your costs are much lower.
  10. It tastes better: Hands down the best reason to eat real food is that it just tastes better!  It really does.  You’ll taste flavors you never knew you could, and enjoy food in a way you didn’t know was possible!  Many people of all ages find that their pickiness disappears when they begin eating real food (this works on toddlers too!) because it just tastes so good!

What are your reasons for eating real food?

Confused about vaccines?

1. I think one of the most compelling reasons to invest in and eat real food is the prevalence of diseases in our modern culture that weren't so much of a problem back in the "olden days." All the obesity, diabetes, heart disease and others that are less obviously food related. Obviously something about our modern lives have brought this on, and it just makes sense that it has to do with all the chemicals and processing that is in our food.

2. Best reason to eat real food? Well for me there are two 1- tastes better! 2- I feel good about what I'm giving my kids – hopefully I can stave off a host of food and health issues down the road by feeding them healthy real foods!

3. #1 reason for me to eat real food is because I'm pregnant! Yay. Isn't it ironic that supplements that are commonly recommended are found in real food? Probiotics in yogurt or fermented food. Fish oil in fish. Vitamin B6 in fermented food. Science may not be as quick as our grandparents!

4. My motivation for eating real food is mood and mental health related ..less fights in the family, do better in school and everyone has more energy. Also, seeing my parents age on the Standard American Diet is really sad. I've tried to help them take baby steps like changing out their fats/oils and taking cod liver oil, but they are stuck in their ways. It's hard for them to change. I eat real food so I won't FEEL old when I'm old, like my parents do :).

5. I have been a subscriber for along while now and am excited about an extra entry!

We eat real food at our house (although not sprouted anything yet!) because it keeps antibiotics out of our kids (and our) bodies when they aren't needed so they can work when they are. Also it does taste better and I'm more comfortable with how it lives its life before it enters ours. Obviously speaking of meat that is raised the way it was meant to be, not the way industry does it now.

Heather

6. We're just starting on our journey to a real food diet….trying to get my husband on board is a little harder than I thought! But I'm most excited about getting all the chemicals out of our food. Less chemicals = healthier family!

7. I've been a subscriber for a while.

We eat real food because we want to live "life to the fullest". And real food is what our bodies need. We have had an added push in this direction due to various food sensitivities.

8. It tastes better– it's simpler– it doesn't make us feel sick– it helps instead of hindering our bodies' natural mechanisms– and it's better for the environment. Yay real food!

9. THis probably sounds redundant……but I like real food because It's…..REAL. it just feels correct to eat it. I am really just starting my real food journey….but it just seems to make sense. It's what we are supposed to eat…a tasty part of a beautiful grand plan!

10. I am currently a subscriber 🙂

My favorite reason to eat real food is because it definitely tastes better and is REAL! Nothing is better than eating real food that I know is nourishing to our bodies!

11. I like real food because I figure everything runs more smoothly if we live as God designed us to, and that translates to all the health benefits and, most importantly those same health and developmental benefits for our kids!

12. They're all great reasons! I eat real food because it tastes better, is chemical free and healthier for my family!

13. My reason for getting into the real food "craze" is trying to kick soda, it's always been an addiction for me and now I have healthy alternatives that are sooo much better for me. I've noticed my energy levels have sky rocketed over the last couple of weeks as I do better and better about eliminating the junk. And you really do lose weight (for me almost exclusively fat) eating real food. I love my butter and snacks and while I haven't actually lost much weight I've lost enough inches that I need to do some clothes shopping. =) Real food rocks!

14. I have been a subscriber to your site for a while and find it very informative.

I have been following a real food way of life for the past year and never want to go back to our 'old' way of eating. We feel so much better, the food tastes better, and I believe it is the best way to stave off diseases that can happen by following the SAD. It is not always easy but it can be done.

15. Yay for an extra entry!

I like eating real food because I like knowing where my food comes from and that the animals are treated in a humane way.

16. We strive to eat real foods for the health and safety of our daughter.

17. For me, I think it's the only way to stay healthy! Our bodies are healthier with real food and our Mother Earth is healthier with real food. It's the only way we will survive as a species (and save the rest of the species out there!).

18. I like eating real food because the ingredients are well-known to me. Am going through chemo (reluctantly) and love knowing that healing foods are right in there with the ugly–helping repair my body.

19. I feed my toddler real foods as much as possible and she loves herself some broccoli. She’ll try raw broccoli too but can’t eat more than 2 florets of it. Can’t blame her. It is really chewy. Bake it or lightly saute it in some garlic and/or ginger? Yum!

20. My favorite reason is how good it makes me feel. It makes me feel good physically. Emotionally, it makes me feel accomplished to do things like make my own applesauce and pumpkin purée.