With Thanksgiving and Christmas coming up, there’s bound to be pie in your life sometime soon! Whether you’re hosting a holiday and have friends with dietary restrictions, or you yourself have food allergies, it’s always a good idea to have a few allergen-free tricks up your sleeve. Try these recipes for almond and coconut flour pie crusts!
Here are two pie crust recipes- one made with almond flour, and another made with coconut flour. Both are completely grain-free, gluten-free, and dairy-free. Both are really easy to make and neither one requires chilling or a rolling pin! Who says special diets have to be inconvenient? Both crusts are tasty enough that you’ll feel good about serving them to the whole crowd, not just to people who are used to eating “weird recipes.”
Almond Flour Pie Crust
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons almond milk, or other liquid (If you want to achieve a sweeter crust, you could substitute the milk with pure maple syrup or apple juice.)
- spices, optional (Here’s where you can get creative- add cinnamon, nutmeg or even cocoa powder for a sweet pie; garlic powder or parsley for a savory pie like pot pie.)
In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg. Stir in flour and milk and mix until dough forms a ball. Press into a 9 inch pie pan. Bake for 18-20 minutes at 350 degrees.
Coconut Flour Pie Crust
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons flax seed meal
- 2 eggs
- pinch Real Salt
- 1/2 cup solid extra virgin coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons carrot juice, broth, nut milk or water (I used carrot juice because coconut flour doesn’t “brown” well and I wanted the tint.)
- spices, optional (This crust is especially yummy for savory pies such as a pot pie.)
In a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs. Stir in coconut oil. Add dry ingredients and liquid and stir until dough forms a loose, sticky ball. Press into a 9 inch pie pan. Bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees.
What are your favorite kinds of pies?
Start Your Healthier Life Ebook!
Ready to get started living a healthier life? This complete, 50-page guide will walk you through the steps, product swaps, recipes, and more that you need to get started today!