Recipe Collection: Dairy-Free Ice Cream

admin October 29, 2009
This post has been entered in Ultimate Recipe Swap at Life as Mom!

This ice cream, in addition to being dairy-free, can be egg-free as well, is versatile, and is completely raw! It’s also full of a lot of very healthy fat.

Dairy-Free Ice Cream

Ingredients:

Directions: Put all ingredients in a blender (you might not be able to get the second can of coconut milk in, but you can add that as you put it in your ice cream maker) and blend until smooth. Pour into your ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. Enjoy! It’s really that simple.

Variations:

Chocolate ice cream: Add 1/2 cup raw cacao powder and blend.

Mint chocolate chip: Reduce vanilla to 1 tsp., add 1 tsp. mint extract, and add about 1 cup chopped vegan chocolate chips. (I don’t recommend using green food coloring, because it contains propylene glycol — not something you want to consume!)

Chocolate chip: Add 1 cup chopped vegan chocolate chips.

Fruit ice cream: Blend 1 cup of your favorite fruit with the basic recipe (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, peaches, etc.).

I haven’t tried anything else but I’m sure you can imagine many other variations! If you think of any good ones, let me know!

Do You Make Your Own ice cream?

Start Your Healthier Life Ebook!

Start your healthier life smaller

Ready to get started living a healthier life? This complete, 50-page guide will walk you through the steps, product swaps, recipes, and more that you need to get started today!

Powered by ConvertKit

1. I love coconut milk, so I think this sounds really good. It is a great alternative for those that can’t have dairy.

2. What about those of us who don’t have an ice cream maker? Any way to make this still?

• Hi Faith, you can freeze it and stir every 15 minutes for about 2 hours, and it will work out okay. It won’t be as soft or have quite the same texture, but it should still work. If you do it with real cream, you can whip the cream first, add the other ingredients, and freeze like that, and I’m told that works.

3. What ice cream maker do you use? I’m looking to get one but I don’t know which one to get.

• Hi Jennifer, I have a Cuisinart 1.5 qt. We’ve had it for 7 – 8 years and it’s still working great! (Although I do wish I had a bigger one now….)

4. I made the mint chocolate chip and added some liquid chlorophyll…it turned out a perfect minty green color! Thanks for this recipe – we use it all the time 🙂

5. Do you put in the whole egg or just the yolks? I assume the whole thing but just checking.

• Hi Mallory,

Actually, when I wrote this, I did use the whole egg. But after awhile, I switched to just using the yolks because I found I like the texture better. So it’s up to you!

6. […] and find nourishing alternatives. Had I known then what I know now, I would have made some coconut milk ice cream, baked up my favorite gluten-free chocolate chip cookies and rolled up some yummy garden-fresh […]